Thursday, September 4, 2014

Breakfast at TIFF '14, or Sleepless in Toronto

by Odienator

Once again, I'm up here in Toronto doing the TIFF thing. Last time I was up here, for the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival, I panned To The Wonder and was duly punished by dreadful films by Bill Murray and the Wachowskis. I also got pretty lazy (and drunk) and stopped posting reviews. That won't happen this year, as I've something to prove and I'm stubborn enough to make sure I prove it. So expect to hear from me fairly often this time. Unless, of course, I'm felled by movies as bad as Cloud Atlas and Hand Job on Hudson.

Until a few hours ago, my first movie was on September 5th. Thanks to IFC, I was able to snare a ticket to the off-sale Clouds of Sils Maria for tonight. Oliver Assayas' film provides the first of my three run-ins with Hit Girl, Chloƫ Grace Moretz. She's joined in this by Kristen Stewart and Oscar winner Juliette Binoche. Every time I read the title, I think it says Clouds of Silas Marner. George Eliot should tell me to clean my glasses.

September 5th is Bill Murray Day, with free screenings of Stripes, Groundhog Day, and the movie that turns 30 this year, Ghostbusters. It all leads up to St. Vincent, Murray's latest movie. I was unable to get into that, but another screening was just added, so I'll try to leap on that in the morning.

I'll tweet review links as the festival churns on. In the meatime, here's what I'm seeing, in the order I'm seeing it. I'm sure more will be added as time goes on.


CLOUDS OF SILS MARIA
THE HUMBLING
COMING HOME
BIG GAME
RUTH & ALEX
THE REACH
BEYOND THE LIGHTS
TOP FIVE
THE EQUALIZER
STILL ALICE
ELECTRIC BOOGALOO
FOXCATCHER
MISS JULIE
TWO DAYS, ONE NIGHT
MAPS TO THE STARS
LEVIATHAN
PASOLINI
INFINITELY POLAR BEAR
LAGGIES
THE COBBLER
WILD
BEFORE WE GO
THE CONNECTION
REVENGE OF THE GREEN DRAGONS

No comments: